You and I are very much on the same page. In my most recent article I look beyond simple food mantras and use the lens of science to look at nutrition and safety of plant-based burgers. It was an eye-opening journey!
Here are my top takeaways on plant-based burgers and on healthiness in general:
- Plant-based burgers provide many of the same nutritional benefits as beef but with fewer potential downsides.
- Fake meat is safe — arguably even safer than beef!
- Faux meat does not replace veggies. Use my recipes to fill half your plate.
- No food is perfect. Plant-based burgers are no exception; they have pros and cons. Whether or not they are “healthy” depends on the comparator, and even more so, on the toppings, bun. and rest of the meal.
- Simple food mantras like “eat less processed foods” can be useful but have severe limitations. They tend to work much better for apples-to-apples comparisons (like apple vs apple juice) than apples-to-zebras comparisons (like a plant patty to a beef patty).
Chana Davis, PhD
Founder, Fueled by Science